Tooth sensitivity can be more than a simple annoyance. It can cause a moderate level of pain and can prevent a person from being able to eat certain types of foods. There are many causes of increased tooth sensitivity, so it is important for sufferers to see the Dentist Syracuse NY. With a dental examination, the dentist can find the cause of the sensitivity and provide the necessary treatment to ensure the sensations are stopped.
Causes of tooth sensitivity include:
* Brushing too aggressively can lead to increased tooth sensitivity because it can cause scratches in the enamel which lead to nerve exposure. Aggressive brushing can lead to pain when one eats cold, hot, sweet, or sticky foods.
* Although acidic fruits and veggies are good for overall health, they can wreak havoc on the enamel of the teeth. Lemons, tomatoes, and oranges can all wear down the protective barrier of the teeth.
* Bruxism, also called tooth grinding, is more common than most people realize. When a person grinds their teeth while sleeping, they can cause damage to the enamel which can lead to sensitivity and pain.
* Whitening toothpaste and mouth rinses can also lead to increased sensitivity. It is important to avoid these products as they can cause pain and damage to the teeth.
* When the gums begin to recede due to gum disease, the roots can become exposed and lead to increased sensitivity and pain. Gum disease is a progressive condition that will only worsen with time.
* Damage to a tooth can lead to sensitivity. Unfortunately, minor cracks and chips may go untreated because a person is not aware they have damaged their tooth. Prompt treatment by the Dentist Syracuse NY can help stop the irritation and sensitivity.
While damaged enamel cannot be repaired entirely, there are dental treatments that can help to shield the teeth from causing irritation. If one is experiencing tooth sensitivity, it is important they see their dentist as soon as possible, so the issue does not worsen. If you would like further information, you can Visit Online at the website of Elite Dental & Denture PC. They are the dental professionals that can keep your smile healthy and strong.