5-8% of adults in America fear visiting the dentist while another 20% visit the dentist only when it is important. The fear of dentist is also seen in young children. Parents of many children confirm that their children went through a tough time before they got used to the dentist.
People fear dentists due to various reasons;
* Anxiety disorder – People who fear anything unknown are also likely to fear visiting the dentist. When they have a dental problem, the people tend to be afraid of what to expect and this may keep them from visiting a dentist for a long time even when the problem needs immediate attention.
* People who have had a bad dental experience in the past fear going back to the dentist. A painful memory or traumatic encounter remains in their mind for a long time. Any time the person is about to visit the dentist, they remember the experience and the memories come alive again.
* Some people with dental problems fear visiting the dentist because the dentist will have to carry out treatment procedures on them. The fear of the procedures keeps them way from the dentist. Unfortunately, the more they avoid the dentist, the more serious the condition becomes and eventually, they have no choice other than to visit the dentist.
Visiting the dentist in Wood Dale is important whether or not you have dental issues so people with dental phobias need to overcome the fear. To overcome the fear;
* You need to first of all acknowledge that you have an issue.
* Get to the root cause of the problem
* Determine the extent of the problem
* Decide to overcome the fear.
Are you looking for a friendly and professional dentist in Wood Dale? Brian Homann, DDS can provide the quality care you are looking for.